Home Forums 2023 SkiAmmys Most Likely To Hit The Side Curtain

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    AndyAndy
    Keymaster

The precision required to jump into the century club means that any error can be disastrous. A popular saying among collegiate skiers is “One for the team. One for yourself. And one for the hospital.”

Who took this to heart and had some of the scariest jumps this year? Videos and photos highly recommended!

Sean FreitagSean Freitag
    Participant

I have to nominate Sam Tasche for this. There wasn’t many good side curtain crashes this year, which is probably a good thing, but Sam got as close as you can get. I saw him take an unbelievably late cut then proceed to break position crossing the wake, not a good thing. I can’t believe he decided to take the jump but he did and probably only got one ski on the ramp. While skiing back down the lake after his fall his ski essentially blew up, and within the allowed time he got a new ski and still sent a 100+ jump.

Dane BarnesDane Barnes
    Participant

Nominating Jake Hawley, for his gnarly sends off the ramp leading to his century club admission. While training for this he had a close call hockey stopping (he got chewed out if the scare wasn’t enough) about as close to the side curtain as you can be at benettes.

Rachel BellRachel Bell
    Participant

Braylen Lynch has rapidly progressed from struggling with even landing jumps to landing over 80 feet in just one season. Braylen has never failed to impress. However, a recent attempt at a ¾ cut following an injury without practice raised concerns for Miami Waterski. Yet Braylen sends it to the ramp with no thoughts of fear. The daring move brought him dangerously close to the side curtain. While we applaud Braylen’s ambition, we also express hope for a careful balance to pushing his limits. He truly is one to continuously send it to the hospital.

Sean DenkerSean Denker
    Participant

Brandon McAllister added 30+ feet to his
    jump PB this year, becoming the first Illini in the century club in a very long time. While on this journey, he had multiple close calls, although he viewed them as great sends. At regionals, after breaking 100 for the first time, he skied close to the dock going out for his final jump and shouted “Get the ambulance ready” before sending a massive 108 foot PB.

Sam VarnessSam Varness
    Participant

Jon Sears
    I nominate Jon from SIU for this because he is probably the hardest faller I have ever seen. He is always pushing himself to get better, but with that comes some nasty falls. Some were so entertaining that we dedicated an entire instagram post to a “wipe out wednesday” of JUST Jon. On a jump, he flew 100 feet straight to his back out of the ski’s, so it really wouldn’t surprise us if he hit the side curtain (it’s on the Instagram for proof).

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.