Home Forums SkiAmmy’s 2017 Most Improved Skier

This topic contains 8 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by  katypfeff 8 months, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    The MCWSA
    The MCWSA
    Keymaster

To get better at anything, it takes consistent practice. Trial and error. Failing and overcoming those failures. In water skiing, this is especially true – the number of times you have to fall on each new trick is often a serious barrier to an individual’s progress.

Who do you think was the most improved skier over this past season?

katypfeff
    Participant

Nikki Weber – Missouri State University

Kristen Dammeyer
    Participant

Evan Monaghan – OSU

Evan is a junior competing in both slalom and jump for the team. Before coming to OSU and joining the team, Evan was totally unfamiliar with competitive water-skiing and had never run the course, let alone seen a jump. In just three years, he is now skiing into 28 off at 36 mph and jumping an impressive 80 feet despite enduring an injury last year. Beyond his impressive scores, Evan’s form has drastically improved due to the time he has put into training during the season and over the summer. Evan has not only improved on the water, but he has also become an even better teammate over the years. He is supportive of his teammates, a regular at team practice, a driver and coach for the team, and a fun guy to be around at team socials. Overall, Evan has become a valuable member of Ohio State’s team!

Andrew Shea
    Participant

Evan OSU

Evan had a huge impact for us this year and really put it all together competitively. He started running his opener at tournaments (it was great) and skipped the whole 15 and 22 off things and started skiing right into 28. He also is jumping 80. Evan takes skiing really seriously and has put a ton of effort into becoming a competitive skier that can put up big scores for the team. He really has become a great teammate and I cannot picture the team without him. He does a lot to push the team forward and make sure people are having fun! Evan, the team is glad that you run openers now, it is freaking great.

Amber Aho
    Participant

Chris Kownick: Iowa State. Last year when little Kow came in as a freshman he was completely new to 3 eventing. Through a ton of hard work and dedication he came back this year ripping passes and booting jumps. Not only did he start the season by running his first ever passes in practices, but he ended up getting up past 28 mph in tournaments and being a vital part to our mens slalom team this year. He also gained 15 feet in jump becoming one of our top mens jumper on the team. Chris is the perfect example of a skier a team hopes to get when recruiting newbies. He’s a huge asset to our team and doesn’t only help us by getting awesome scores on the water, but also encourages everyone off the water. He even snagged Team Captain for us next year as he’s someone other teammates can look up to and is proof that hard work truly pays off.

Sara Condra
    Participant

Pat Taylor, GVSU

Pat’s always been a great skier, but really devoted himself this past summer and it paid off. Pat improved immensely in both all three events and became the top skier of his team.

Zack Worden
    Participant

duh … Zack Worden

Zach Brannan
    Participant

Evan Monaghan – OSU

Over the years I’ve really seen Evan’s skiing become next level. My 3 days a week skiing buddy this year, Ev never failed to show his dedication to the sport while we both blew off work and school to get to the lake. His determination to better himself has really shines as he works into 28 off this year.

• This reply was modified 8 months, 3 weeks ago by  Zach Brannan.
    • This reply was modified 8 months, 3 weeks ago by  Zach Brannan.

katypfeff
    Participant

Nikki Weber – Missouri State University

I have known Nikki my entire life and this past year I got to see her grow enormously as a skier. 2017 was a big year for Nikki. She was dedicated more than I have ever seen, and she was determined to get better. This summer Nikki worked at Isaiahs Run ski school and improved immensely in all 3 events. She went from tricking on two to doing toe tricks on one. Her jump increased from doing minor cutting to three quartering cuts and literally FLYING. She made it 86 feet at regionals this past fall. Her slalom has also gotten better and she is now running passes at 32 mph. Nikki has become one of the top skiers of our team, and we are lucky to have her. I am excited for her to continue on her skiing journey in 2018 and can’t wait for her to make it to the 100 ft club!!!

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.